Birth Photography FAQ
Childbirth. The ultimate celebration of life and love. Often times, in the midst of all the commotion and emotion, the event happens so fast that you may miss some magical details. The photos captured from your labor and delivery are a beautiful reminder of one of the most important days of your life. I will be there for you as part of your birth team, supporting you and giving you my undivided best. Capturing your birth the only way I would want mine photographed; with the raw emotions, the joy, the pain, the true love and connection between you and your partner, the support of your doula and birth team. Simply put, recording the most magical time of your life. I will ensure to photograph moments you will want to revisit time after time. Even after years down the road, you will still remember that day with much pride and joy. By allowing me to handle this important task, it will free up dad or any other support person to partake during your special event. I will also ensure that his or her participation is captured on film.
"If a woman doesn't look like a goddess in birth, someone isn't treating her right." ~ Ina May Gaskin
Why should we hire a birth photographer?
When choosing a birth photographer it's important to keep in mind their experience, time they been shooting (birth and/or portraits, wedding etc), editing skills, connection and commitment to the parents and birth. Yes, I know your aunt, your friend or your co worker's friend wants to get into photography too. While photographers are more than happy to welcome new colleagues, your birth is not really the time to let someone experiment with you, having a professional by your side will not only assure your special day will be captured, it will also guarantee the quality of work and professionalism the event requires.
How much does it cost?
- It's best to contact me for full pricing details. My birth packages start at $800.00 allowing you to customize and build your package to best fit your needs. For more details and information please use the "contact me" button found on the left-hand side of my website.
Do you photograph cesarean birth?
- Absolutely, having my first birth being a cesarean, I know the importance of having that special event captured. Michigan is very limited to the hospitals that will allow a photographer in the operating room, it is best to always consult your hospital and DR and find out their rules and regulation.
How long do you stay after the birth?
- Whether it is in the hospital, a birthing center or at home, I will stay by your side up to 3 hours after your birth. I love capturing the first moments of life, the excitement of the newborn exam, when the siblings are meeting the new member, or the grandparents get to meet the little one for the first time.
What's off limit?
- Birth photography is not only about The crowning shot! Considering your privacy, I ensure to photograph your child's birth story, capturing your partner, your birth team helping you through the most vulnerable moments of your life. The moments of joy and your moments of pain, his/her entrance to the world, I don't have to be right in front to capture that moment, I know how to position myself so that you will still have those moments captured but without explicit scenes. Therefore, your birth story can be relived and shared with your loved ones over and over without the fear of being too much.
Do you have any sample slideshows to view before we make a decision?
- Here is a link to one that has been modified to keep you interested but please contact me for several clients slideshows that I have permission to share.
Is there anything else I should know?
- Yes, the only thing I really ask for is for you to give me as much advance notice as possible when you think that labor might be starting. I know this is not always possible, but it's always greatly appreciated it! Starting a week or two before your DD, I'm available for your calls, texts or emails 24/7. Don't feel bad if labor starts at 2 am, always let me know, by then I've already prepared to attend your birth and I will have arranged some sort of care for my children.